Search Site
Foreclosure! Help!

Dear Attorney Lehn, I really need your help. My daughter was sick and I had to take an unpaid leave from my job and I fell behind on my mortgage. A foreclosure was filed against me. I am working now and want to keep my house. What can I do?

Well, this person has a few options to save the house from being sold. First, fight the foreclosure and get the bank to prove they possess all the proper documents that allow them to repossess the property. If they do, we can battle it out. If they don’t we can force them to dismiss the foreclosure altogether.

If we are successful in getting the case dismissed, the bank has to get their ducks in a row and will have to re-file the case. Meanwhile the homeowners can be living in the house.

Another option is mediation, the government offers many programs that this homeowner may qualify for to reduce the payment, reduce the interest and even reduce the principal. The homeowner may also consider redeeming the property and paying off the mortgage in full.

In summary

Foreclosure is a serious matter, don’t tackle it alone

Homeowners have rights, make the bank prove their case

Modification is always an option, don’t undertake a modification without a lawyer

If you are served a foreclosure don’t leave your home, all is not lost, you have options.

Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

Our Offices
  • Port Charlotte Office
    1777 Tamiami Trail
    Suite 505
    Port Charlotte, Florida 33948
    Phone: 941-255-5346
  • Sarasota Office
    8520 South Tamiami Trail
    Suite 4
    Sarasota, Florida 34238
    Phone: 941-487-7100